Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Week in Art

We spent one of our school days last week spring cleaning, so to make up for it, we took a Saturday field trip to our local art museum.  The boys took along sketch pads and watercolor pencils to copy some of their favorite paintings.  I had not taken them to an art museum before, because I thought it would be pretty boring for them.  Boy, was I wrong!  They loved every minute of it!  They oohed and ahhed appropriately at the Victorian exhibit, and discussed the different paintings in the "Perceptions of Reality" exhibit.  They didn't know what the different styles of paintings were called, but Grayson could tell me whose style was similar to Van Gogh's or Monet's.  He was able to tell me who he thought used oils or colored pencils, and which paintings held his interest and why.  It was a fantastic trip which we will be repeating as soon as the exhibit changes!




Since coming home, the boys have both been more interested in painting, sculpting, drawing... Basically anything that they call "arting."  I had grand plans to bring out Grayson's pottery wheel this week, but I've yet to work up the courage to face the mess that goes along with it.  Instead, we have been making a lot of play doh sculptures.  Both boys have a knack for it, and I'm wondering if I should bring home some "real" artist's modeling clay!

So!  That's our week in review!  What creative ventures have you and your little ones taken this week?  If you've done something new, share it here!  If not, take the time to do something creative with them today!  All it takes is a blank paper, a wad of clay, even shaving cream and a black garbage bag, and a little bit of time.  You'll be surprised at the creations of their bright little minds!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, it's letting me comment finally!! :D

    I found this really cool resource for teaching art, which we'll be using. Basically you make an art book and the kids learn the primary and secondary colors, etc. by doing everything themselves. Obviously, Grayson is beyond that, but for Dorian it's just perfect.

    We have recently done an almost life size skeleton, but apart from that, not much in the way of art since my boys seem to be totally uninterested in drawing, coloring, etc. (sob) Instead we're focusing on science right now because Dorian is very much into that and I figure he needs to learn how his body works so I can explain the differences between his body and everyone else's and why he needs to be careful with food and needs enemas and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, you have to go with what they're interested in. That skeleton sounds awesome! You'll have to share some pictures!
    Have you ever tried making sidewalk paint for your boys? Mine like mixing it (it's cornstarch, water, & food coloring), and it makes painting seem less like a boring table craft!
    Oh, and my boys still like this game for mixing colors: http://www.peepandthebigwideworld.com/games/paintsplat.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love art. Just an FYI the art museum in BHam is awesome and always free. It is quite a drive, but soooo worth it. (They are closed on Mondays and holidays) We went last year and seen the DaVinci exhibit. It was soooooo cool. Their site is http://www.artsbma.org/
    Be blessed,
    Chasity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing that my 'little one' is a dog...not much! Maybe I could line up dog biscuits in a straight line and teach her to pick only certain colours. I'm feeling left out here, ladies!

    This gives me that nice, gooey feeling. :) Reminds me of the time my mother used to take us to the museum. And Play-Doh! I wonder if it'll be appropriate for us adults to play it. :D

    ReplyDelete