Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Grayson's Iliad

Homeschooling has become so much easier this second semester.  We seem to have our feet under us now, and I have gained enough confidence as a teacher to do what I know my kids need, rather than what everyone else thinks they need.  One of the things we are doing is taking more time to enjoy the subjects we are studying, rather than trying to rush through them and check them off the schedule.  Grayson is particularly interested in History right now, and I find that the more crafts we do along with it, the more he is likely to remember the lesson. 
Yesterday, we studied the legend of the Trojan Horse.  Today, we re-enacted the legend!  Here is a nice pictoral of our battle:

The city of Troy.  Impregnable fortress wherein the beautiful Queen Helen and Paris of Troy are hiding...





The war council between Helen's first husband, King Menelaus of  Sparta, his brother Agamemnon of Mycenae, and Odysseus (and some random other guy)...

Their brilliant plan.  A peace offering of a giant wooden (or cardboard and duct tape) horse.  Incidentally, how on earth did they make the original without duct tape?
Little did those silly Trojans know, there was a surprise waiting for them inside...



Game over.  Spartans 1: Trojans 0.
















4 comments:

  1. you're so cool!! I wish you had been my teacher!

    I just realized on the last post that you have to approve your own comments... so, none of my others have posted!!! LOL! I'm a dork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homer would be so proud! Yes, how did the Trojans built it without duct tape? It's a mystery. By the way, this is such a cool approach to the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I am having all kinds of issues with the comments here! I think maybe it's all worked out now?
    Gloria, Thanks! I have textbooks that give great suggestions, and a son who likes to expand on them! They work well together, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!!!!! I love that!!!
    Be blessed,
    Chasity

    ReplyDelete