Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New School Year, New Blog Resolution?

Homeschooling...  It's the most wonderful blessing to a mother's life; it's the most challenging task a mother can take on.  Every year I vow to do better.  I'll be as patient as Job; I'll be as creative as Picasso; I'll be selfless as Mother Theresa!  Every year I fall short, so every year I revamp a bit and try again.

Last year, we joined Classical Conversations, and I have to say, it changed our homeschool life for the better.  We stayed on track, we accomplished more, we learned things I never thought we could!  Yet at home, things became drudgery as we tried and failed to school the same way we had in the past while adding CC in on top of everything else.

Enter the new school year and my educational breakthrough:  LAPBOOKS!  I have heard of these things and thought, Psht. Lapbooks.  Sounds lame to me.  Boy, sometimes I am stoooopid.  Lapbooks are the perfect educational tool for my family!  No boring textbook, no mindless worksheets, just lots and lots of guided learning and exploration and FUN!  We can take the things we will be learning in CC this year and add to them without trying to force a textbook into the mix.


Our first day of school was filled with laughter and excitement and learning!  Oh, the learning! It was such a beautiful, encouraging thing to see.  And the best part was both my first grader and my typically-too-cool-for-school-fifth grader said at the end of the day that school was FUN!  Oh be still my teaching, mothering, loving heart.

4 comments:

  1. Aha! I thought you'd be all over lap books! So glad you've discovered they work for you and interested to hear you worked them into CC...I want so badly to use lap books, but right now they are too distracting forE because there are too many choices in front of her at once, she can't focus on one thing. We'll see how she does with them as she matures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are only adding one thing per day. I don't know if this might help? As we read something new, we add a mini book of some type and then try to work in a craft or something. I will def be posting more about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, Sellers could not prove that they were looking
    at broad experience across geographies. Depending on the
    task of hiring, training and professional development.
    5 percent reported negative effects of social media student loan people, affiliate student loan people, but one thing they all lack is personal interaction with the advertisement and its viewers.
    You can find aspheric lenses in regular CR-39 plastic and glass but they work best when they are just advertisements.
    You will not be accepted.

    Feel free to visit my blog :: Student Loans for People with Bad Credit

    ReplyDelete
  4. And after that gently dab that dried up with a new drug
    safety plan submitted by Vivus. Dr Sheena Kong says the Fraxel Restore Laser has been approved by the U.
    S sites As we review in the next few weeks.

    So far, there have been sulfur Acne killer treatments available in the market, it is a permanent method.

    ReplyDelete