Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Making the Most of It

I am not a morning person in any way, shape, or fashion.  My kids are both very early risers (we're talking 5 a.m. here, people!), and my sweet hubs has to wake at around 5 or 6 a.m. for work.  My norm is to roll, drag, or flop out of bed, stumble to the kitchen and make Jeff's breakfast, then retreat to the couch with a blanket and my coffee until the sand is completely out of my eyes.

The trouble with that is, now that 'bama is in full summer heat, it is too hot to do ANYTHING by 9:00!  So I am carpe-ing the diem, so to speak.  When Jeff leaves for work, I now take that first oh-so-precious cup of Starbucks French Roast out to the back porch and watch the shade begin to retreat from the right side of my yard.  By the time the caffeine is in my system, I have to race against the hot sun to get the pool brushing/vacuuming or sidewalk sweeping or flower garden weeding done.  Then by the time I come inside and straighten the house for the day, it is hot enough outside to spend the rest of the day in the water!

There was a time when I hated summer (which curiously coincided with the time in my life when I weighed over 200 pounds.  Go figure.)  Now I love the time spent outdoors, in the water with my sweet family!  I am learning to make the most of my cooler mornings and the sunny, wonderful days with my boys!

2 comments:

  1. What is it with morning people being born to night owls?! We have the same problem here, and the same issue with heat (but no pool :( ). I'm glad you're enjoying the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just a cruel trick of fate. Probably by the time our kids are teenagers who want to sleep 'til noon, our internal clocks will have been trained to wake us at 5!

    ReplyDelete